Wednesday 18 January 2012

More good news...

Things continue to move forward at pace regarding equipment at least. McMurdo Fast Find have donated a Fast Find PLB to the expedition, which means that if everything does go pear-shaped, Pete Tong, etc. and I have to "abandon ship" (for ship, read rock) then I can activate the PLB and be found fast! This is especially important as far out as Rockall as I will be right on the outer limit of HM Coastguard's search and rescue capability, which menas no fuel time for messing around trying to locate me.
The Fast Find is a waterproof 406 MHz Personal Location Beacon (PLB) that should be carried by individuals, who are embarking on trips into areas around the world where there is little or no other form of communication or where other forms of communication are unlikely to work. The Fast Find acts as a personal Emergency Location Beacon, it is my last resort communication to the national and international search and rescue bodies. The Fast Find is designed as a direct communication, to the 406 MHz Search and Rescue satellite system, its signal indicates that I am in need of urgent response and assistance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you don't need it but I am very pleased that it will be there if you do (as I am sure Pam is too!)

Post a Comment